2/14/10

Adoption is when a child grew in its mommy's heart instead of her tummy

Annyeong everyone,

Now, everyone who 'knows' me - and with knowing I actually mean: has had a deep and meaningful conversation with - knows I've always wanted to adopt. Ever since I was young and knew the meaning of adoption, I wanted to do it. It's become a dream for me, an ambition (just like emigration, because I ain't staying here!!!). I'm only 18 while I'm writing this, so technically I shouldn't be thinking of having children at all (only the way of 'making' them) but I've caught myself often daydreaming and worrying about my future adoptive children.

My reason for adoption? Why not give an orphan the love/care he or she needs? Why overpopulate the world even more when there are so many parentless children who need your love and affection? Now I'm not saying you shouldn't have children of your own, but that's not the only possibility to create a family.
Ever since I was little I began searching for information on adoption (mostly through English sites though) and I think I have an good idea what it's gonna be like.
Of course, you never know what it will BE like until you experience it.

I want to adopt Asia...specificly Japan, South-Korea and in a lesser sense China. Why? Because I think when you from adopt, you should always teach your children about their culture. I happen to know a bit more about the cultures of Japan and South-Korea. I want to adopt from China for a number of other reasons: one being that my ancerstors came from China.
I realize that it's going to be blaringly obvious for everyone to see that my future adoptive kids are adopted, but should that matter?
To illustrate what I'm talking about, I'll explain my heritage. I'm a mix of a lot of races, but I guess you could classify me as black. I'm not a big fan of being called black, because my hair is black and my skin brown, but that's beside the point. Those who don't care about my descent: please, scroll on down!

My blood comes from:

~ China --> my ancestors from my mom's side appearantly. This doesn't show in my appearance at all, though when I tell my friends about my ancestory they often mention the eyes. My eyes however aren't slanted, they're almond shaped. Angelina Jolie also has almond shaped eyes...get my point? Nothing Asian about that. I do have to mention that I'm the only one in my family that is SO fascinated by Asia and it's culture. My niece often jokingly calls me an alien. I also feel more connected with the Asian culture than any of the other cultures my blood/birth links me to. I'm especially proud of my surname: Tjong Ayong.

~ Suriname (Surinam) --> Everyone who knows a little about Suriname, knows there are a lot of different cultures and races present there. A lot of  Surinamese people are mixed. As am I. Eveyone of my family is Surinamese, but they also have other ancestory. My mother's Surinamese side has its roots in China. If you want to know more about Suriname, please look it up, don't ask me. I hardly know anything about Suriname, I can't even understand/speak/read/write the language. Is that a bad thing? Maybe. My mom has often said I should be more interested in my heritage, but isn't the Asian culture part of my heritage too? Okay, I'm more interested in Japan and South-Korea...let's move on, shall we?

~ Java --> My father's side. An island belonging to Indonesia, please correct me if I'm wrong. I really don't know much about Java, but I want to learn more. It lies in Southeast Asia (maybe that's another reason why I love Asia so much).

~ India --> My father's side. I also don't know as much about India as I should. Only that it's in the south of Asia. I've watched a few Bollywood movies (hated them) but I don't think that's representative for it's culture. I know cows are holy...That's pretty cool.

~ The Netherlands --> Born and raised here! Still being "raised" here XD. Born in Amsterdam, lived there for 7 years. There is an article about Dutch customs and etiquette: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_customs_and_etiquette . Some things are true, some somewhat, some not. But I found it quite entertaining. I've read a couple of discussions on the internet about how the Dutch are insanely rude and how the country's going to pot. This isn't true (not for all Dutch people anyways). If you want me to adress these aspects, let me know. I'll give you my two cents.

We also have some Indian (read Native American) blood in the family, but let's not go there right now. I'm totally clueless about anyways.

~~~~~~~Back to the topic of adoption:

I can see myself adopting children from firstborns to toddlers. I wouldn't consider teenagers if it were my 'first' child, because I wouldn't be experienced enough for that.  However I just read somewhere that South-Korea is trying to reduce the percentage of transracial/transcultural adoptions. And that they want to put a full stop on it in 2012. And I hear adopting in Japan is frowned upon. I don't know if I should be worried or not.

Two things about adoption are bothering me though:

1) The fact that adopting seems to have become a trend. Everyone is doing it nowadays. It's the celebrities like Angelina Jolie and Madonna who have made it so popular. Now there's nothing wrong with that, but when people start adoption only because famous people are doing it and it's IN, that's when it becomes dangerous. People don't really think about the consequences any more. You need to adopt because you want to and have wanted to for a long time, not because the Rich and Famous are doing it!

2) Renaming those kids. I believe that if you adopt you should try to maintain their birthname, or at least give them a name in their own language. If their birthname is completely pronounceable, keep it. If it isn't, try to change it to a similar name in the same language, or one with the same meaning. IF, and I emphasise IF, you change the name; give the kid a cool name. Don't give them a totally Dutch or American or whatever country your from name. Just don't. A name is part of one's identity. Don't change a name like Seul Gi (pronounceable) into Kitty.
For the love of [insert prefered deity here] DON'T. And please, don't give them names that will invite bullying from everyone from children to adults. You don't name your kid 'Pilot Inspector'  unless you want him to be bullied. Don't you think your kids will hate you when you give them a name like Pixie, AudioVisual or Chemical reaction? Don't give them car brand names, don't name them after your dog and don't give them 57 middle names! JUST DON'T!

Well, that was my rant about adoption. If there are like-minded people out there of my age, drop me a comment. I'd like to have a deep and meaningful conversation with you, if possible.

Sayonara mina!

No comments:

Post a Comment